This is my personal recipe for BBQ sauce, very chunky and fresh. The secret is the celery, which adds a salty crunchiness to the sauce. I always have some on hand in the fridge. Great on ribs, steak, and my husband really loves it on cold roasted chicken.
Two Pepper BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large rib celery with leaves, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 long red dried chilies (chile de arbol),stem removed, seeds reserved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. dry prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
In a saucepan, sauté onion, celery, and bell pepper in olive oil. Add dried chiles, and a few of the seeds (the more seeds you add, the spicier the resulting sauce). Add the garlic, and sauté for about 3 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand for 10 minutes.
Puree mixture in food processor, making sure no large pieces remain.
By Melissa Guerra